Sunday, March 29, 2009

Janet Story: U2

So the radio has been anouncing for weeks that U2 was doing a small concert at a secret location in/around Boston. Turns out it was leaked the day before (tuesday) that it was the Somerville Theator which is the movie theator/ small concert venue down the street from my house.


So once I heard that, my brain started turning about how I was going to get it. I thought about getting movie tickets, but I figured that was too obvious and they would cancel the movies. I honestly didn’t even check the site. When I got off the T, I walked around a little bit before I went home and the place was swarming with people/cops….no chance to get in (google it).

Fast forward an hour and Grill Cheese Dave (creepy next door neighbor) knocks on my door and tells me that he bought movie tickets the day before, they are actually honoring the tickets, but everyone thinks it’s a stupid plan, and no one will go with him. I of course thought it was brilliant and we left for the movie.

In front of the theater, there are a million fans/security/cops and we walk up with our printed movie ticket confirmation and they let us in to the building. In the lobby, they had police barriers in the whole back section, so it was impossible to just walk in like I belonged there. Plus they hadn’t opened the doors for the show yet, so it was very obvious we were out of place. We hung around the lobby for a little bit and bought beer, then security was like “RAH RAH RAH you have to go to the movie RAH RAH.” We went upstairs and watched The Wrestler.

Plan A was to sneak in thru the upstairs door which leads to the balcony. That didn’t work because the door was locked, plus there was literally security everywhere inside. Plan B was to take turns going to the lobby to buy beer and hopefully get lucky. I saw some of their sound check on one of my outings, but because everyone that was inside was either an employee or a cop, I was a sore thumb…..but that’s right I saw U2’s sound check!!!

On my final voyage, they had opened the doors, so the lobby was swamped. They checked tickets at the door of the building and gave everyone a wrist band. I was already in the building, so no one check my ticket, but they were they were checking wrist bands in front of the section they had blocked earlier. I stood there for a while, then when they flashed the lights, a bunch of people rushed in, so I followed them and got lost in the crowd.

So now I got into the building and passed the wristband people, but now I have to get into the actual theater. The issue is that ushers are standing at the doors, checking tickets, and directing people to their seats. I went upstairs to the balcony and some lady asked me for my ticket, so I turned around and walked down stairs. My hands are shaking at this point….. I almost surrendered because I couldn’t get passed the F-ing ushers…..the show had started and now there is no one in the lobby and I’m starting to stick out again.

Final Attempt. I walk downstairs open the door to the theater and walk in. The usher asks for my ticket and I bee line it to the right of the theater like I didn’t hear him. A bunch of media people and Grill Cheese Dave were standing along the walls so I stood there with them for the entire show.

The show was pretty sick. They played 5 songs and did a Q& A., but he only song I recognized was Vertigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment